Monday, March 10, 2014

Christians

I used to think that picking out clothes online was hard.  I mean, what is wrong with these companies who can't figure out how to size their clothes?  Some clothes run small, some run big.  You never quite know what the color looks like in person.  What if you don't like the feel of the fabric?  I guess you could return it if you didn't like it or if it didn't fit. Yeah, sounds complicated.

Try picking out a child!  Good grief, it is some SERIOUS pressure.

I inquired about this little girl in the beginning of January.  She was a doll.  I continued looking and kind of forgot about her.  A couple weeks ago I was looking through my email and found the photos of her that were sent to me a couple months ago.  She was even cuter this time!  I showed Marc. We prayed and talked about her for a couple days.  Finally I got a text from Marcus that said he was ready to press forward with her. 

Suddenly I was in love.  I couldn't get the application in fast enough.  While working on filling out the application I got an email from her caseworker.  She asked what my religion was.  I immediately emailed back and said I was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Almost instantly she emailed me back and said that I would not be approved for an Armenian adoption, which is where this sweet heart was.  My heart sunk.

I emailed her back and asked why.  She let me know that Armenia was a very Christian Country and they only adopt out to Christians.

Oh, okay.  I get it.  You have to believe in Jesus Christ to adopt from Armenia. 

Ya know what?   I can see why it would be hard to believe in Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon, I can see why someone may have a hard time believing that we have a modern day prophet.  I can see why someone would question the power of the Priesthood.  One thing I will NEVER understand is why people say that members of the The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints do not believe in Jesus Christ.  I honestly don't get it.  

Deep breath, Wendy.  At this point I am not sure if I was breathing again yet or not.  I know that at some point I started to bawl.  I have finally learned that you don't get what you want by being rude, so I emailed her back and kindly explained that there must be some sort of confusion because as members of The Church of Jesus Christ we happen to believe in Jesus Christ.   

She emailed me back and confirmed that there was no confusion, that was the way the country was and there was no way around it.  She said she had been doing this for 10 years and had been through this with several other LDS families and this was just the way it was.  I was devastated.  I felt like I had fallen in love with this little face and she was being ripped out from under me. I called their office and asked the person on the phone, she didn't know and referred me to speaking with this lady whom was already emailing me.  She was, what appeared to be, the boss.   

After giving it about 2 minutes to soak in, I had the thought to call another agency and ask them.  If they confirm it then I'll know there's nothing I can do.  I call the another agency and ask them.  They told me that they adopt out of Armenia to LDS families regularly, and that it wasn't a problem at all.  At this point I could have chosen another agency, but this is the agency that this little girl was with so to get her I HAD to use them.  The lady on the phone didn't know what to tell me.  She said that it could be an issue that their attorney has with the church.  She gave me a couple numbers that I could try and call, but really didn't have any answers for me.

I do not enjoy making phone calls.  My mom is good at stuff like this, not me.  I try not to annoy people over the phone...anywhere else is fine, just not on the phone.  At this point though, I was desperate.  I needed to get to the bottom on this!  

I dialed the phone number.  I didn't know who this dude was or how he related to adoption.  He could have been an adoptive parent for all I knew at this point.  I was expecting to leave a message, but he answered.  I start explaining to him (while in tears) that I was given his number as a shot in the dark and that I was hoping he'd know who I needed to speak with or what I should do.  I was sure that he would have no idea how to help me, but it sure felt good to let out my frustration out on someone.

He asked me what agency I was working with.  I told him.  I was hoping I wasn't dreaming when I heard him say, "I am the attorney who works with that agency.  I am LDS and I've never heard of that." 

I cannot even explain to you the comfort that I felt at this point.  I was experiencing what was one of the MANY tender mercies I had experienced throughout this whole process.  He told me he'd send out a few emails and figure it all out and get back to me.  I felt so much hope.  

When I didn't hear from him for a couple days I started to worry.  I told Marc that maybe God lined us up with this attorney so that we'd know that it must not have been right, because there was nobody better I could have spoken with.  I had done everything I could.  One thing I never doubted was that He could make it happen if it was His will.  

Why does this have to be SO hard?!  I am trying to do something good.  I am going out of my way to make my life difficult!  

If I were just a Christian this would be so much easier (insert sarcastic voice).  ANNOYING!!!  

I finally got an email from this lady at the agency, letting me know that we needed letters from my doctors.  She didn't mention anything about us being LDS, or that the attorney had contacted her.  She didn't apologize for making my week a total nightmare.  It didn't bother me though.  No apology necessary.  

We were pressing forward.  


No comments:

Post a Comment