I had to have been 6 or 7 before I knew that He wasn't right. I just thought that's how every little brother was. He had us all wrapped around his finger. He was the cutest little boy around!
We were blessed to have an angel as a member of our family. Zak has always been the light of our home. Everything has always (still does) revolved around him. Holidays, birthdays, vacations, etc. I like to think that Zak and I have always had a special bond. We shared a room together for years. He was my baby, my "Bople". He and I were two years apart so we had one year in middle school together, and one year in high school. I peer tutored his class as many periods as I could. I was literally a peer tutor for 4 periods in my senior year of high school.
Zak has taught me many things. Patience, love, tolerance, and compassion, just to name a few. He has done the same thing for all the members of my family. (As a side note, when I use the term "all of my family" it usually indicates ALL of my family, as in my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents.) While he may not be able to read or write, he may (actually there is no MAY about it) be the world's biggest stinker and aggressive at times, he may tease my children relentlessly by taking their toys from them and saying things that will bug them, and though he will never grow up and get married or have children, he has taught every single member or my family more than he could have ever taught us if he were "normal".
Because of Zak I grew an extremely large soft spot for people with disabilities. In fact, I'd rather be around a "handicapped" person than most "normal" people. And that's the honest truth. I worked at a facility for people with severe mental disabilities for years. I grew a love for them that can't be found in most places. I read a thing on Pinterest that was actually a picture of a bill board of sorts, that said "You haven't really lived until you've done something for someone who can never repay you." I loved that! Because it's true!
When I spoke with adoption agencies I was informed that, because of my health, I only qualified for a "special needs" child. As I examine my life I realize that I was raised in a home and with a family that has put me in a position where a disability is in my comfort zone. Zak has helped me to prepare for my own child. See? Another thing he has done for me.
"Disability is the inability to see ability"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment